The bottom of your feet are SO underrated and underappreciated!! It's well known in Eastern Asian medicine that the bottom of the feet are a great gateway into healing all kinds of ailments, and foot soaks are a popular method for increasing circulation, removing pain, relieving headaches, reducing stress, and so much more.
When essential oils are applied to the foot, studies have shown that the traces can be found throughout the entire body in less than 20 minutes!! 2️⃣0️⃣!
But why and how?
1) There are about 72,000 nerve endings in each foot 😱, and they contain more sensitive nerve endings per square cm than any other part of the body! This is why reflexology is so popular.
2) The bottom of your feet have no hair and have bigger pores compared to the rest of the body. Therefore, when you add salt or essential oils into the water, your feet can quickly pull up and absorb the minerals and chemical components of the oil into the bloodstream much more efficiently and quickly compared to rest of your skin!
3) The skin of your feet have less layers than any other part of your skin. It only has 5 layers, while the other parts of the body generally have 7. This helps minerals/chemicals to be absorbed more quickly as well.
4) The palms of your hands and soles of your feet do not have sebaceous glands (where oily substances are produced), therefore, there isn't much barrier between the oils/chemicals and your pores 👏
I soak my feet every other night because honestly, it's life changing. Not only can it help you physically, psychologically, but it can keep your feet clean and healthy as well! Essential oils have wonderful antibacterial and anti-fungal properties ❣️
My favorite foot soak/bath recipe:
- Lavender (Lavandula augustifolia) - 3 drops (antidepressant, relaxant, etc)
- Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) - 3 drops (analgesic, antidepressant, antifungal, muscle relaxant, antispasmodic)
- Lemon (Citrus limon) - 2 drops (antidepressant, anxiolytic, nervine, antibacterial)
You shouldn't put more than total of 10 drops per wash basin.**
There are so many other essential oils you can use, so if you have a specific motive, such as muscular pain, email me for suggestions!
Here is a link to my favorite portable wash basin I use for my soaks. It's about $13.